• Keep a current photo of your pet with accurate description (weight, color, unique markings, etc.)
IF YOU DISCOVER YOUR PET IS MISSING …
• Talk to your neighbors. The most obvious place to begin your search is around the neighborhood. Leave your phone number with a current photo and description of your pet.
• Use your pet’s favorite toy. A squeaky toy or other noisemaker can enhance your pet’s ability to hear you calling their name.
• Use scent to attract. Try placing food or a recently worn article of clothing somewhere outside your house. Your pet may use their exceptional sense of smell to find their way home.
• Try quiet time. Searching the surrounding area during quieter hours can be of great help. Alternate between calling your pet’s name and stopping to listen for a bark or meow.
• Call your nearest animal shelter, township official or police station to report your missing pet. Often times a good Samaritan has called in to report finding a lost or stray animal, and the information can be matched.